Rev. Jerry Paul Scholar Program
The Council for Health and Human Service Ministries (CHHSM), United Church of Christ, offers a unique scholar program for seminary students who are interested in learning more about ministry in faith-based health and human service nonprofit organizations. The scholar program offers many benefits:
- Up to $10,000/year paid to the scholar’s seminary toward tuition
- Enrollment in The Nollau Leadership Institute and commissioning as a Diakonal Minister upon completion of the program (tuition, travel, and board provided)
- Opportunity to engage with leaders in CHHSM member organizations, including site visits
- Attendance at CHHSM Board of Directors meetings (travel and board provided)
- Registration for the CHHSM Annual Gathering (travel and board provided)
- Mentorship and monthly conversations with CHHSM staff to discuss and discern questions/thoughts/ideas/ the scholar has regarding Health and Human Service (HHS) ministry
The goal of the CHHSM Scholar program is to expose seminary students to the many different forms of health and human service ministry and to encourage them to consider leadership roles in CHHSM organizations. CHHSM staff and the scholar will work together to create goals, a reading list, and a year of experiences to help the scholar have a better understanding of options for ministry in HHS.
We are currently recruiting a CHHSM Scholar for the 2022-2023 academic year. All interested students must submit the following information:
- A cover letter explaining their interest in the program;
- A current resume;
- The names and contact information of three references;
- A two-page narrative on their ministry journey thus far and hopes for their career
We are committed to Racial Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Justice in all our work. We strongly encourage applications from all backgrounds without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other protected status. Seminarians who are members of the United Church of Christ are strongly preferred. The scholarship may be renewable for multiple years during seminary.
Use the Application Form below to apply and submit your materials.
The deadline for applications is June 30, 2022. CHHSM staff will arrange online interviews with selected applicants, and a final decision will be made in early August 2022.