Lake Prince Woods’ Capital Campaign Exceeds Goal Set for Community’s New Construction and Improvements
September 29, 2022, is a big day for Lake Prince Woods, an EveryAge continuing care community in Suffolk, Va. Not only is it the 20th anniversary of the community’s grand opening, it also is the day ground will be broken on a new Wellness Center and renovations of Lake Prince Woods’ Commons.
The groundbreaking is thanks to overwhelming support by residents and the community. As part of its 20th anniversary year, the EveryAge Foundation and Lake Prince Woods initiated a capital campaign to raise $1 million for new construction and renovations. The effort raised a full 47 percent more than the goal — $1,467,047 in pledges. The 102 gifts committed ranged from $25 to $469,028.
“With this campaign, we’re delighted to have far exceeded our goal in helping the community achieve an ever-richer balance of mind, body, and spirit,” said Nancy Beard, CFRE, president of the EveryAge Foundation. “With this milestone commitment, we are ensuring that the environment and services we provide will nurture [our residents’] lives, health, and contentment well into the future.”
The new construction and improvements will happen in two phases. The first is the Wellness Center and Commons renovation. The groundbreaking celebration will bring together Lake Prince Woods board members, resident leaders, as well as local community leaders. Completion date is slated for early 2024, and will be celebrated with a ribbon-cutting and open house. Phase one costs are anticipated to be in the range of $13.5 million.
The Wellness Center will offer:
- Dedicated areas for wellness and fitness
- Art studio and classroom space
- More and larger spaces to gather with the community
- Spaces for bridge and other activities
- Space for Bible study and book clubs
- Salon and massage space
- A place to entertain family and friends
- Improved accessibility
The Commons renovation will:
- Upgrade the main auditorium/gathering space and provide better audio-visual capabilities
- Add a pub-style billiards room and lounge
- Improve wayfinding and increase covered space at the entrance and between buildings
The second phase of the project, whose anticipated start date has not yet been determined, will be a Memory Care and Assisted Living project. As originally designed, Phase two will include:
- Increasing memory care capacity from 16 to 20 residents
- Establishing secure household models for memory care residents to walk and release energy
- Implementing design elements most appropriate to memory care residents, including lighting, acoustics, flooring, and furnishings
- Improving efficiency and specialized care for assisted living and memory support residents
- Enhancing dignity and privacy in bathing
- Adding outdoor spaces with shaded areas and a porch open to courtyards
Best of all, the success of the capital campaign means both phases will be successfully completed.
“By exceeding our goal, we can ensure a cushion of resources around the rising costs of construction and materials, and we can be more strategic in how we maximize our facilities and services to best serve residents,” said John White, chief financial officer at EveryAge. “As we evaluate the expenses associated with phase one, we can also revisit our plans for phase two to see what else might be possible in light of the market and our donors’ generosity.”
For Lee Syria, president and CEO of EveryAge, the successful capital campaign and support of the community allows for exciting possibilities for the future.
“All of our communities, including Lake Prince Woods, are distinguished by being mission-driven, nonprofit communities that share an abiding desire to give residents a purposeful lifestyle where they can be engaged in mind, body, and spirit,” Syria said. “We’re continually in conversation with our residents to learn what they want in retirement, and we’re constantly attuned to developments in senior living that promote quality of life, especially as needs and circumstances change. We’re thrilled to be able to launch this next chapter for Lake Prince Woods, a collaboration built on our joint commitment to living well and aging gracefully.”
Join Our Mailing LIst