President and CEO: Retirement Housing Foundation
Retirement Housing Foundation is a national non-profit organization that provides housing and services to more than 22,500 older adults, low-income families, and persons with disabilities. With 197 communities in 29 states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a national staff of 2,900, Retirement Housing Foundation and its wholly owned affiliates (RHF) is one of the largest senior housing organizations in the country.
A financially strong, high-impact organization well-positioned to carry out transformational work around affordable living and care for the elderly, RHF seeks a dynamic and visionary leader to build upon a sophisticated business and drive an exciting new vision of growth and evolution in this next chapter for the organization.
The successful candidate for RHF leadership will have an understanding and appreciation for faith based and church related organizations and mission. S/he will bring deep passion for the mission of RHF, particularly for the need to bring the dignity and hope that comes with affordable, safe, and secure housing to those who are aging and those whose life circumstances may make it difficult for them to afford housing in the open market.
Inheriting one of the preeminent senior housing organization in the United States, the incoming President and CEO will bring extensive experience running large complex operations and a deep commitment to protecting those who are among the most vulnerable members of society. This is an exciting opportunity for an innovative leader to build upon a strong organization and to try new and exciting initiatives that will move the needle around innovation in senior/affordable housing.
The next leader will likely bring:
- Deep passion for the mission around dignified, safe, and affordable housing for the aging, underserved communities, and other vulnerable populations,
- demonstrated success running a multi-corporation enterprise/large complex operations
- extensive experience ideally in one or more of the following: senior/affordable housing, real estate development, nonprofit, public health services, or governmental programs
- familiarity with regulatory and statutory policies, human resources, leadership and management, financial knowledge, banking and investment, philanthropy, property development, tax credit financing, health care policies, government advocacy and liaison
- deep appreciation for and comfort working with faith based and church related organizations.
The President and CEO leads and manages all aspects of the organization including strategic vision and leadership, financial and risk oversight, fundraising and revenue generation, external affairs, faith based and church related responsibilities, and governance. The President and CEO is responsible for all operations and management of the organization.
The CEO has responsibilities and authority to act on behalf of RHF, its affiliates and subsidiaries, as are inherent in the position.
The CEO reports to the board of directors of RHF, which currently consists of thirteen volunteers. The Board is distributed across the United States and spends approximately 30 days annually in service to RHF. They are dedicated to RHF’s mission and bring a variety of life experiences ranging from property appraisal, insurance, clergy, property development and construction, accounting, graphic arts and professional photography, medicine, business, law, and academic history.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative and inspiring leader with an established record of successful experience in an organization of comparable or greater size and complexity. This includes having served as a CEO or in a senior leadership position of a highly complex organization with significant financial accountability. In addition to a fundamental understanding of financial and personnel management, the CEO will bring extensive experience and demonstrated success ideally in one or more of the following: senior/affordable housing, real estate development, nonprofit, public health services, or governmental programs.
The CEO will additionally have demonstrated decisive management abilities, have exceptional oral and written communication skills, will be well-organized, and possess strong business ethics. The successful candidate will also have a demonstrated commitment to working with vulnerable populations and underserved communities, and to inclusion and diversity in staffing, investments and operations.
The field of affordable housing and continuing care is extraordinarily complex. Along with exceptional management and leadership skills and gifts required to lead RHF, familiarity with a wide variety of issues, including regulatory and statutory, human resources, leadership and management, financial knowledge, banking and investment, philanthropy, property development, tax credit financing, health care policies, government advocacy and liaison, will be critical to the role.
Other important areas of focus will be:
- Experience in and ability to manage a multi-corporation enterprise.
- Ability to be the corporate visionary.
- Experience in being a team leader, symbolically and in fact.
- Must be a collaborative leader who is inclusive of diverse viewpoints throughout their decision-making process.
- Innovation across products, services, projects and partners._Development of sound relationships with key constituencies including the board, church partners and faith based communities, and key federal, state and local stakeholders.
- Successful staff management and ensuring a positive working environment and cohesiveness around fiscal and operational goals and objectives, diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to be an advocate and spokesperson for RHF and the needs of seniors and to be an effective representative of RHF before all key government bodies, the media, and the public on priority issues.
- Ability to learn and understand increasingly complex and continuously evolving aspects of the position, business and industry.
- Ability to ensure continued service to residents, partners, and key stakeholders and sound fiscal management during the onboarding/leadership transition.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with staff, grounded in care for the individual, clear communication of the mission and continuation of mutual respect in the workplace.
An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university is required. An advanced degree and/or pertinent professional experience is preferred. In extraordinary cases, other training or experience may be considered.
A competitive Compensation package commensurate with experience will be offered to attract the most qualified candidates.
Please apply online with a current resume and customized letter of interest at https://kfopportunities.loop.jobs/job/Korn-Ferry-Executive-Search-Long-Beach-President-CEO-CA/106864721. All interest and recommendations may also be sent directly to the Korn Ferry team at RHFsearch@KornFerry.com.
To learn more about Retirement Housing Foundation, see the full position description https://kfopportunities.loop.jobs/job/Korn-Ferry-Executive-Search-Long-Beach-President-CEO-CA/106864721.