|Brewster Place resident, Topeka, Kan.|
The mission of the Council for Health and Human Service Ministries is to sustain and advance the work of healing and service as a ministry of the church of Jesus Christ embodied in its member ministries, the United Church of Christ and the church universal.
CHHSM envisions itself as an organization that provides leadership for its own member ministries, the UCC and the interfaith community of health and human service ministries that, together, we may:
- Live out our understanding of human service as an enterprise grounded in faith-bound compassion;
- Advocate boldly and effectively in the public arena for the right of all to have access to a high quality standard of health and human services;
- Promote a comprehensive view of health which includes all dimensions of the lives of persons and communities;
- Uplift and celebrate the values of faithful servanthood and stewardship at the core of health and human service ministry.
The Council’s vision is rooted in the vision of the UCC, "that they may all be one." In pursuit of this vision, the Council commits itself to transcending sectarian and competitive forces which divide both faith communities and the health and human service ministries which they sponsor.
CHHSM is an association of health and human service organizations and programs recognized as an expression of the ministry and mission of the United Church of Christ. CHHSM and its member ministries believe:
- that our historic and ongoing covenantal inclusion in the United Church of Christ is important and requires nurture and mutual accountability within all settings of the church.
- that the values and spiritual strength of the Christian faith are the central motivation and sustaining power of our ministries.
- that as ministries with a common faith tradition we need to be a part of an intentional community of mutual support.
- that in gratitude to God and the church we have an obligation to be good stewards of our resources in the service of the mission of the United Church of Christ and the whole church of Jesus Christ.